Thursday, June 03, 2004

Am I Hot or Not?

Ever since the Gray Lady started printing photographs in color at the end of high school, I've noticed a decisively downward spiral in the class of Dad's Newspaper. But I must admit, I never saw coming a New York Times feature piece on the cultural phenomenon that is 'Hot or Not', let alone its hideous offsrping. Granted they are about 3 years uncool, but I must say, I was more than a little disconcerted at having a stuffy private practice psychiatrist from Philly nail so many of my generations' dementias in such a short quote:

"I see this phenomenon as an extension of the narcissism that has become much more pervasive in our culture," Dr. Aserinsky said. "I see it especially in the under-30 crowd, where there's this insatiable appetite for acknowledgment based largely on patterns in child-rearing that came along about the time of that generation." He calls it the "overappreciated child," whose every accomplishment, no matter how pedestrian, is praised as if extraordinary, if not also bronzed and placed on a pedestal.

At least I'm not overappreciated. Am I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home