Thursday, June 24, 2004

Paging Dr. Uvlov...

Came back from lunch to work and I had a message waiting. Listened to it. Rolled jaw back up. I Attempted to forward the message to myself for future playback, but I can't from my office phone system. I even attempted to put receiver of the cell phone to the ear of my work phone; but this came out garbled. So I will transcribe it directly to my blog and reread later.

"Hi Andrew, this is (xxxxx) from Dr. (xxxxx)'s office. Um. I don't know... if this is wildly inappropriate, or if you're... ah... ok. If you're offended by this-- don't take offense. I just wanted to... give you my phone number. It's (xxx-xxx-xxxx). Ah, if you... I'm sorry if this is offensive. I just... I don't know. I just wanted to give it to you in case... you wanted to call me? But if not? Then forget this ever happened. Thanksbye. Click."

Background to this? There is none. This is the girl who works in the office of the internal medicine physician who fixed me when I had pneumonia; the first time she met me, I was delirious with a 104 fever and wearing 2 layers of hooded sweatshirts, wet cargo pants, and coughing blood like I was about to keel over with consumption. The next time there 2weeks later, I bounced into the office all healthy she did this sort of doubletake and said "oh my god, you're like a totally different person now!" But that's it, I've only ever scheduled appointments with her. Then this morning I called the office because the doctor referred me to a good dermatologist and I needed a referral form... and 3 hours later I get this message. No flirting, no small talk to forshadow it. Just out of the blue, a cutely awkward and uncomfortable number-give to the voice mail of the contact info in my record, talking very soft so nobody else in her office could hear. Does this even happen?? And do you call back your doctor's receptionist? I mean, I handed this girl a vial of warm pee once!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You damned well better call her. Maybe she can bring a tarp and some rubber gloves and you can have some real fun.

June 25, 2004 at 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a stranger still managed to be attracted to me despite my appearance resembling the living dead (not to MENTION after handling my excements), i would definitely put their number in safekeeping. Like carving it into my arm. Unless she was a hideous wretch... i might still call anyway though.

June 29, 2004 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger Andrew DF said...

As a preliminary follow-up to this post, I did in fact call the number back first thing the following morning, and left a message that I would of course be delighted to meet up sometime and would call back the following week. "The following week" will mean after my appointment to cut down on awkwardness, but of course I called back. What person couldn't but be impressed with guts for a move like that? Not only will we meet up, but I'm going to be taking notes.

June 29, 2004 at 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what did you do about the girl? same shit happened to a friend of mine once, and he ended up dating the girl for a year. but she was just a sales rep, nothing half as hot as a nurse.

July 20, 2004 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Andrew DF said...

Mmm... cause nothing says 'hot' like pee? Hehe. No, actually it sort of passed the moment because I went away for vacation, and it might feel too weird now. I dunno. Guess I'll have to break my arm now or something and get a date with an orthopedist. Ohh, or a brain injury! Then Nicole Kidman could check out my eyes and run that thing over my foot like in Days of Thunder!

July 23, 2004 at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home