Tuesday, June 15, 2004

sushi-tuesday minutia

* I'm seeing smoke signals on the horizon that I may no longer be the 1 single friend in my social group of coupled-off buddies. Recent whispers place an unnamed founding member of the Player's Alumni Association as on the splits with his special ladyfriend; there are unverified reports that she was out past her bedtime and didn't finish her broccoli, and has been sent to her room.

* I realized this weekend that the excellent films 'Good Will Hunting' and 'Supertroopers,' while different in most respects, both featured a greatly underappreciated leisure time activity for New England twenty-somethings: Watching 9 year-olds play little league games from the bleachers on lazy saturday afternoons. In between bouts of heckling, my Rhode Island friend put it quite poignantly; "If you think about it, these games are the deciding moments for these kids. Right here, it is all sorted out; respect from peers, levels of self confidence, the love of fathers... fail the physical tests of little league, and you're pretty much fucked for the next two decades."

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

you have sushi tuesday too? i get sushi for lunch at work each and every tuesday, and only tuesday. i was just wondering earlier why the hell i do this...

June 15, 2004 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Andrew DF said...

Well, there is sushi every day, but I only get it every Tuesday. I think for me it is a carry-over from my Tuesday nights during my time in Mexico City, where my buddies and I had a favorite restaurant deal for all-you-can-eat sushi for a pittance of pesos. But one of the temps here recently told me she eats sushi every tuesday, too. The chef who sets out the packages must be very perplexed.

June 15, 2004 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

that's really weird. because i could get sushi any day also. i think it's because sushi's supposedly not so fresh on sundays and mondays, so tuesday is the first day of the week that it's good. or something.

June 15, 2004 at 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home