Tuesday, July 06, 2004

SUV in the City

I drove from home down to NYC last night in diluvian rain accompanying 90 degree heat, without air-conditioning. On the plus side, my sweat-addled brain pushed my foot down to 80mph+ despite the 20-foot visibility, and aside from a few traffic bottlenecks from horrible hydroplaned auto wrecks, made fantastic time; 3 hours from Boston to NY in holiday traffic. I need a video game sponsor. And now I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee parked under the W'Burg bridge for 4 days to use as I will! So exciting. All told, the weekend was a smash; on friday I skipped out of work at 1:35pm in time to make the final 2:30 $70 youthfare (under 25) Delta Shuttle trip of my life, and am consigning my future travel plans exclusively on the $10 Fung Wah Bus, as the shuttle price increase to $241 that I will experience on July 10 is a bit steep for this paralegal. My dad took me straight from the airport to the Woods Hole ferry terminal for our trip to the Vineyard, and the two of us cruised in style in his 1965 Pontiac GTO, which was making the crossing to take part in the Edgartown July 4th Parade's "classic car" spectacle. A great ride, capped with a platter of fried clams from Sandys' for dinner. The actual weekend itself is a rather addled blur of family gorgings, sunbathing, wrestling with maritime mechanical problems, fireworks, cutting foot on an oarlock diving into the water from my rowboat to save a non-swimmer, drinking sam adams light on the porch, and preppy, preppy, preppy pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home