Monday, July 26, 2004

Vintage

I'm sitting in a pew Saturday afternoon at 3:30 attending a wedding ceremony, my third this summer (and I have worn flip-flops to all three).  The service took nearly 3 hours of standing up and sitting back down (and I think that after he stopped crying at the altar, a friend of mine got married in there somewhere too.)  However, I didn't register much of it, because the Red Sox-Yankees game started at 3:15, and I have a new cell phone.  I shut off the sound and went exploring, looking for a way to pay for and download a program that could give me live-update baseball scores.  (I also stumbled across Tetris and doodled with that for a while.)  When I finally did happen across ESPN: Bottom Line, I happily load it up as the priest is doling out some rite.  The process finishes as he and the congregation conclude with "Amen," and then, into the silence of that house of prayer, despite the mute button, my phone offers up to God the ESPN theme jingle,  "DA---NA---NA... DA-NA-NA!"  Everybody turns and looks at me.  Freakin' Catholics.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fat Asian Baby said...

I am so proud that I know you.

July 28, 2004 at 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This all occured as I sat next to him and texted the word "penis" to him and all the other guys in the church

July 29, 2004 at 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home