Friday, August 27, 2004

I watch Olympics

I'm addicted. Just flat out hooked. I don't care if it's the men's pairs table tennis quarterfinal between South Korea and China/Taipei, I'm going to watch it. This has become a bit of an issue of the last few work days, as I am finding that the 8:30 - 9:30am stretch tends to see a lot of very watchable events smattered across USA (chan. 44), Bravo (chan. 39) and Univision (chan. 17). Earlier in the morning, 7am-8am, I'm at the gym with 6 side-by-side tvs, and NBC, CNBC and MSNBC all air coverage as well and I'm like a fat kid in a candy store. This delays my workout, and then women's beach volleyball or the slavic water polo team delay my leaving for work. But nobody at work seemed to notice, and the Olympics are almost over, so I feel like I can admit these things now and not have to knock on wood over it.

As for the 8pm NBC flagship primetime, I take it all in but not with the same gusto as I do badminton with one sock on over a bowl of crispix at 10 in the morning. The late events spend too much time getting filtered through the editor control room, and cover too much gymnastics without enough non-marquis events with equal or greater drama. For example, I missed almost all crew races in 2004, because of a complete inability to follow schedules-- I just tried to watch whenever I could find a tv. I'm a bit pissed about that. Especially considering this story about the 23 year old australian girl who stopped rowing with 650 meters to go in the medal race with her team in 4th. I didn't see it, but Row2k has me filled in enough to just be dumbfounded. Oh and the US men's 8 won gold. So many stories.

But all the drama of sport aside, with the Olympics there's still always one reason above all else to tune in...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home