Monday, September 27, 2004

Good God, I had no idea...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
So this is what it feels like to have a job.

Last week, Lawyer, Partner & Sons LLP dropped the fucking hammer. I've found I excel at gainful unemployment, and until last week had successfully carried those skills over into the working world. In at 11, out at 5:25 had such a triumphant ring to it, like I was winning at some challenging game to remain both well-paid and unoccupied. Mocking friends and roommates for falling into an abyss of actual "work" that kept them office-bound until after the rerun of the Daily Show had ended was for me an exercise in fundamentalism; I denounced that which I did not understand. "You're at work until 1am? WHY? Just leave. Say, 'I want to go home now,' tell them you'll finish what's left tomorrow, and sign out. What could possibly be worth staying that late? Are you getting laid at work? Staying 'til then is so stupid." I jested along through my little fantasy world, oblivious to the iceberg that lurked ahead, until it tore the hull out from beneath me last Wednesday.

5am. I stayed at work until 5am. Left work at dinnertime to make class, then returned to work until breakfast time. Stayed the following night until 1am. Friday night? Back to 5am. Then in again on Sunday. And this morning, I had to be here at 7:30, not 11:30. These things add up; right now, I smell like a leather couch on a hot evening after it's been sat in sans vestitus for an entire evening's WB lineup. My Saturday night is a vague haze of rolling rock, red sox/yankees, Boston friend on the couch playing Ghost Recon, and being too lethargic to go out. Have I regressed to my life in Brooklyn? The the roomate's wadded tissue paper overflowing the bathroom trashcan and protein powder spills says perhaps yes.

Yeah, so anyway it's time for me to suck it up and return to the real world of blogging laziness, even if nobody's blogging and I can't be lazy. I spent last night vegged out with my two Sunday shows, "Topic A with Tina Brown" at 8 followed by "Jack & Bobby" at 9, which in my mentally weakened state almost made me well up at the end. (Jack & Bobby, not Tina Brown-- hearing her hot pick of the week doesn't have that much of an effect on me.) Now it's time to go home from the office and finally put away the pile of clean, folded laundry that's been sitting in stacks on my bed since I washed it last tuesday night... since then, I've been sleeping on a 2-by-5 foot strip of cleared bedding, snug against fabric softened underwear and bathroom floor towels. Oh, god... I hope none of my roommate's clipped neck hair is still in that towel...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home